Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Running

Other than a mile when I go to the gym at lunch, I have really fallen off the wagon in terms of running. I HATE running on the treadmill and I know I felt better when I was getting up and running in the morning.

But it is dark and cold and I am whiny. To the extent that even when I set my alarm for 6, I reset it and go back to sleep. Because my bed is warm and comfortable and it is bleak and yucky outside.

EXCEPT!! This morning, I made an agreement to call a friend at 6. My thinking is that if I actually force myself to form words, I can make myself get out of the apartment. And even though it was raining a bit, IT WORKED! I ran a really pathetic 5k this morning and it was great. Well, at the time it was a little horrible, but afterwards it was great.

I am going to look for a running program to follow for the winter so I know I have to accomplish "x" that day, and hopefully gain some momentum in terms of making this a habit again. I'm also starting to think about rebuilding a base from which to train for the half-marathon in Jeju at the beginning of next June. Yes, I realize that I'm planning for a race that is about 6 months away, but if you think about the fact that some training programs are 2-3 months and a half marathon is a LONG TIME TO RUN, I want to have a decent foundation from which to build.

No comments: