Sunday, January 20, 2008

Maybe a little too soon...

I think I maybe spoke a little too soon on the whole "Bali is better about pestering people" thing. When I went out into the street a few minutes later, it was pretty constant harassment of "motocycle? By my sunglassess/sarang/random crap, I give you special price." I think I was lulled into complacency by the nice people at my hotel.

Right now I am in Ulu Watu/ Padang Padang, Bali. It is mostly a surfer hangout south of Kuta, Bali There are far fewer people here and is so stunningly beautiful I have no words - but I will have pictures in a few days. Sadly, we haven't found more than a handful of hot surfers, but I live in hope. I've had to console myself with striking scenery, night swimming, and dramatic storms. Although this is the rainy season in Bali, we have been lucky that while it has been raining most nights, the days are lovely. I like warm, and am not looking forward to the snow and ice of Korea-land.

Yesterday we went to the fire/temple dance performance at sunset at the Ulu Watu temple. There was fire and dancing and monkeys and it was pretty darn cool (pictures later). I will spend today beaching and hopefully objectifying surfers, then head back to Kuta, Bali tomorrow, and back to Korea the day after.

Just a note - there has been a lot of crime in Kuta, Lombok lately. (Lombok is a different island, Mom, and I won't be going there) but it is dramatic and consistent enough that for any of the folks planning to head over here in the next couple of months, it really should be avoided for right now.

No comments: