Thursday, February 07, 2008

class

I spent a while studying last night, and feel a little better about where I am. I still need to work on spelling and the rote memorization of things today, but I feel better about the general knowledge of what we did.

One of the hard things for me is that everything we are doing is in the "high form" language, which is fine in Seoul, but in schools and with most of what I need language for, the regular level is more easily understood and more appropriate. Though I think that once I master the higher form to be at the point where it is more than just word regurgitation, it shouldn't be too hard to break down.

Did I mention that the class is almost all immersion? As in, the teacher very rarely will use a word in Korean - written or spoken - to clarify something. And that the text book is all in Korean? There is a sort of dictionary we can buy that helps a bit, but WOW. I mean, it is AWESOME and I know that my comprehension is okay in terms of getting the gist of things, but I have more sympathy for most of my students right now (though it is also a good point that I'm at a beginner class, and my students have been studying English for a lot longer than I have been studying Korean AND have more support by having more information in Korean, so they should be able to do the same thing, one would think).

No comments: