Friday, February 09, 2007

Airports

For the 4th and last time this trip, I am at the Bangkok airport.

One of the useful things of adopting what seems to be a uniform for traveling foreigners here (thai fisherman pants, tee-shirt, a bit of a tan, and a layer of dirt) is that the touts (people trying to get you to go where they want you to go/take their transportation/stay at their hotel) tend to leave you alone.

This morning, I waded out to get a boat to the mainland, took one of the "local buses"(and by local bus, they mean pick-up truck with slat benches along the sides and a fairly high cab as a roof) to the Krabi airport and flew to Bangkok. All in all, although it was nice to get a Thai massage at Wat Pho (a center for traditional thai healing and the home of the reclining Buddha) I would have rather spent the afternoon on the beach.

Anyway, I've learned a lot on this trip, not the least of which is that you really don't want to have your eyes open while riding in a taxi in rush hour traffic in Bangkok. It is just easier that way. I've also climbed, learned Thai massage, pet an elephant, ridden in/on more vehicles then I could imagine (some very nice, some incredibly sketchy), swam with a backdrop that is so beautiful it is unreal, and came up with some pretty good questions to think about.

In a few minutes, I will go and get my bags out of the place that will store your luggage at the airport and put on shoes that require socks, and dig out a jacket. Ugh. Cold. Boo.

1 comment:

MUD said...

welcome back to the real world. I wish we all could go and stay on the beach. In the mean time, I have been working as a substitute teacher most of the week and other than Thursday it was a great week. There were so many little turkeys on Thursday you would have thought it was Thanksgiving. MUD