Monday, June 09, 2008

Clinton and conflict

I have to admit some conflict. Watching the election coverage from a distance I'm sure limited what I saw in both good and bad ways, and while there were many ways in which I didn't support Clinton, the misogyny I saw in response to her campaign almost swayed me back to her camp. A friend linked this article from the nation which says it a lot better than I can:

Iron My Skirt

"There's another reason to be grateful to her. Clinton's run has put to rest the myth that we are living in a postfeminist wonderland in which all that stands in women's path is women themselves. Like a magnet--was it the pantsuit?--Clinton drew out the nation's misogyny in all its jeering glory and put it where we could all get a good look at it. "Iron my shirt" hecklers. Wearers of Bros Over Hos T-shirts and buyers of Hillary nutcrackers. Fans of the Citizens United Not Timid website (check the acronym). Vats of sexist nastiness splattered across the Comments section of hundreds of blogs and websites. It's as if every obscene phone caller and every exhibitionist in America decided to become an amateur political pundit."

No comments: