Tuesday, June 10, 2008

mooo

Things don't seem to be calming down in terms of protests against US beef imports. Protests are becoming more violent, including some cases where there are allegations that people are setting themselves on fire (though there is a question if the self-immolation is in protest of the beef, or if the protest provided a venue - thanks Brian).

I'm all for people standing up for what they believe in. What I find fault with is that this isn't based on science or a real threat to the populace, but rather, on xenophobia, propaganda, and fear-mongering.

I've typed and deleted a couple of rants here, and right now I'm just not sure if I am angry that people refuse to listen to logic and reason, if I'm sad that people (both the riot police and the protesters) are getting hurt, if I'm sick of anti-foreigner sentiment here, or if I just am ready to leave. Maybe all of the above.

Last week, I left school and got in a cab to go to one of the big grocery stores. The driver went about a block, pulled over and told me to get out of the taxi because he was going to get a coffee. I don't know for sure if this was related to the news coverage or if this was just one idiot, but still. Drivers used to try to talk to me the entire drive to wherever, and in the past week or more, I haven't had a single one try to talk to me at all.

No comments: