Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ugh.

So, this beef thing is still going on. This was happening in Seoul, and I haven't heard about anything bad happening down here, but then I live in a bubble and most of the time wouldn't know if something WAS happening. My guess is that there are still rallies being held in bigger cities, and probably smaller things locally, but like the article said, with the numbers greatly reduced.

I have a question about this quote, "Officials could take measures such as the use of liquid tear gas, which has been banned in South Korea since 1999." Is there a difference between liquid tear gas and any other form of tear gas? Because I remember protesters getting gassed last summer at rallies against Homever/Kim's Club, mainly because we had to scurry into a friend's apartment to avoid the full impact of it.

To show how deeply ingrained dislike of the new president (who was elected with the greatest victory margin in Korean history) is, a little story. My 6th grade class is learning about different jobs. My co-teacher put together a slideshow of people who were representative of different professions - a famous singer, a driver, that kind of thing - and when the picture of the president came up on the screen, the entire elementary class started to point, yell, and laugh at the t.v. The 6th graders are getting ready for mid-term exams, and this was the most excited I've seen them get about anything that wasn't prize-related in a long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

such news really sucks man...:(