Thursday, March 20, 2008

My hometown

Sen. Hillary Clinton visits Indiana

My favorite quote from the Terre Haute paper?

Adding to the interest is Vigo County’s reputation as a bellwether in presidential politics. Vigo voters have shown an uncanny ability to pick the eventual winner in the general election. Only once in the past 100 years has the county missed, and that was in 1952 when Illinois Sen. Adlai Stevenson narrowly defeated Dwight Eisenhower.


Yes. She is visiting T.H. because of its status as a bellweather. Or maybe because it is a really good example of a struggling small town. I'm just worried that it will get played as Hickville. Dollars to donuts that she cracks out the "southern" accent she had in Texas.

If you are interested, one of the Indianapolis news stations will be showing a feed of her remarks in Terre Haute starting at 10:30 am Eastern (that would be 11:30 pm Korea time).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jess...I watched part of it live this AM, no sign of the fake southern accent, and worse than that, no one in the crowd that I knew. People from other counties and towns, not necessarily TH. Hmmm. So I turned it off. Maybe I missed something, but I had to go to the gym. Love you bunches. Mom