Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Didn't see that one coming

When I decided to change schools last summer, I made my decision based on the city I wanted to live in, not the grade level I wanted to teach. We all make trade-offs, and at the time I needed to list a specific school in a specific city in order to get switched out of my old school. I knew that this job was open, and so took the elementary job in order to be able to move out of the tiny neighborhood of the small town I lived in last year. My thinking was that it was a year, and how bad could it be?

Over the past few months, I've come to a somewhat disturbing conclusion - I've become an elementary school teacher, not just a middle school teacher pretending to be an elementary school teacher. I had students for the first time today (although I've been here for two days, the only kids I see are in the hallways or when they stick their heads in to say hello) and I have FUN. Maybe because I'm able to crank up the dork factor to eleven (and let's be real, I admit my dork factor is pretty high, anyway) and I'll probably be ready to crush them like grapes in a few weeks, but I like playing goofy games, making cheesy bulletin boards, and making the kids who are either low-level or annoying (or both) fall in love with me. I get to laugh a lot more than I did in middle school, and if it sometimes feels like I am teaching via interpretative dance more than language, so be it.

After years of making jokes that I could never be an elementary teacher because I don't own enough seasonal sweatshirts, wooden jewelery, or things that look like apples, I somehow have become one. At least for the time being. Totally didn't expect that one.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Unrelated, I'm wearing a cashmere sweater my step-mother sent me, and keep petting my own arm. Am even more happy I bought that bag of merino/cashmere blend in Seoul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yippee!...being RETIRED, I now know where to send my necklace made of colored pencils that I can never wear in the real world...and maybe the wooden vegetable one, also. I hate to see them just sitting there in my "jewelry" box.

(You have to admit, though, it's really fun.)

My favorite was when working with clay, telling them not to walk around the room with their tools in their hands. I'd laaaaaugh!

Welcome to the club.
Aunt Mimi

Ms Parker said...

I'm buying you a pair of leggings, a musical Christmas tree sweatshirt and an apple pencil holder to put on your desk that says "#1 Teechur"....

The word verification for this message is "tafzimro", which I am going to try to use at least 4 times today as an actual word.

Jess said...

Mimi- it is SO much fun!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who laughs at things like that.

And Virgina, in exchange, I'll be getting you a denim jumper and a pair of keds sneakers.