Sunday, March 02, 2008

Running

Today the weather here is flirting with the 50's, so I went for my first run outside in a long, long time. I haven't run for more than 2.5 km at a stretch in rather a long time (2.5 is a bit more than a mile and a half, and have I ever mentioned how much I loathe the treadmill?) and yesterday a friend asked if we were still on for the 1/2 marathon in June in Jeju. The training program I was looking at is a 12 week one with the first long run at 4 miles, and I was worried that I would be able to keep up with the training.

Today I ran 4 miles, which is amazing considering how long it has been since I've run anything even close to distance. So far, the only negative is a little bit of asthma (which is to be expected) and what appears to be a really sexy blister on the ball of my foot, which I'm chalking up to bad socks and over-tightly laced shoes.

So at least for the time being, I'm starting the 1/2 marathon training program. I think I'll see how things go with the training runs (it would be increasing volume pretty fast for me to just dive in right now) but try to keep up with the longer distance runs each week.

Totally unrelated, I go back to work tomorrow.

No comments: