Monday, April 14, 2008

A few more...

Looking at the last post, I realized that there are a lot of pictures of me by me. My name is Jessica and I am a selca (selfcam) addict. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

So here are some pictures of other things.

Dr. Fish is one of the newer trends in Seoul. Go into a nice, comfortable lounge, have a cocktail, and put your feet into a pool of warm water. That is filled with little fishies that eat the dead skin off your heels and toes.

I knew it would be ticklish, but I had NO IDEA it would be THAT ticklish. I was able to force my feet into the water for a few minutes at a time, but couldn't take it for very long at all! Euughh!! But how often do you get to say you had a glass of wine while fish ate your feet?
MVI_0787.jpg


One of the things that I have deeply mixed feeling on is the more traditional markets. In the small towns, it is mostly old women with grains, vegetables and fruit in bowls and on blankets spread on the streets and sidewalks. You also have the same thing for fish, seaweed, octopus, and "I don't know, comes from sea." Even in major urban areas, sometimes a market springs up on a street corner, not far from a grocery store which everything neatly wrapped in plastic. This was on the streets of Seoul:
IMG_0779.JPG
(the first few things are peanuts and candy-coated peanuts. As you move down the line, I think it changes more to the grains that are often mixed into rice)

IMG_0781.JPG
I am completely addicted to the mandarin oranges you can see on the right. They are fading out of the markets now and when you do find them, they aren't as good. It makes me sad.

IMG_0780.JPG
More kinds of kimchi than you could imagine. The smell was powerfully bad.

I really like the old markets for vegetables and fruit. When it comes to meat and seafood? Maybe I'm just a princess, but I would prefer to buy things that haven't been sitting out in a bucket on the side of the street. But maybe that's just me.

IMG_0782.JPG
This is the picture I took of the Seoul subway map because I kept losing the pocket maps I had. I was incredibly proud when I could navigate around the city using only the Korean version.

2 comments:

Ms Parker said...

I once dragged my whining mother around the Seoul subway for, like, 3 days. It's like a trial by fire.... Do they make it complicated on purpose?

Love all the pics... and NEVER apologize for the self-cam... it's the best gift Korea ever gave to the rest of the world...

Anonymous said...

There's a Dr. Fish in Hadang, as well..