Friday, April 25, 2008

Field Trip

Last week my school went on a "picnic" by which they meant "field trip" that ended up being "run around in a field and torture geckos" and "try to shake the snake out of the tree" (that last one isn't cute analogy for anything - there really was a snake in a tree).

Before we left for the trip, I was told that it would be something about planting trees, which I interpreted as perhaps an Earth Day sorta thing, or at least something with a bit of structure. The entire school went on the trip, and because of the number of kids going, the buses had to make two trips to the site. So I took a bunch of pictures and hung out with the kids while we waited.

The Kindergarten and part of the students lined up on the schoolyard.

IMG_0918.JPG IMG_0912.JPG IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0916.JPG

One of my favorite students. She has special needs, and last year would wander in late, sit in the back, and refused to engage with me at all. This year, she sits in the front, participates, and will at least talk to me in Korean. I give a lot of credit to her homeroom teacher and the student she sits next to (who I bribe and compliment the heck out of for being nice to her). I could talk a long time about the way kids with intellectual special needs are treated here, but to put in all in a summary, NOT GOOD. Anyway, love her.
IMG_0933.JPG

v-line
IMG_0930.JPG

This student is a boy. He thinks he is extremely attractive.
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

What actually ended up happening was that kids sort of ran around all morning in a "park" that was near a major ship-building area. There were a gazillion geckos (which the children enjoyed torturing) a snake in a tree,
IMG_0936.JPG

and games. And more games. And then a few more games. Including the always popular, make boys look like girls game. Think I'm joking?
IMG_0940.JPG

No comments: