Thursday, April 10, 2008

Korean conversation

There aren't many times for me to use what little Korean I know in a conversational setting. Interactions when at the grocery, translating key words while teaching, basic politeness (hello, thank you, goodbye) in social situations are pretty common, but don't make me use much of what little vocabulary and grammar I have.

The one place I can regularly speak in Korean is in the taxi. Drivers often will start up conversations that use the small talk I know. Lately, a few drivers have been pretty forward (telling me they should be my boyfriend, even though I use the pretend boyfriend excuse) and things like that, so I have been sort of avoiding it.

But last night I was in a cab with a friend who speaks a lot more than me, and we realized that individually we were okay, but together (with someone to check that we understood what was going on) we rocked! And it was SO MUCH FUN! It was one of the best spontaneous conversations in Korean I've ever had! Yay!

No comments: