Thursday, June 29, 2006

Aizu, last day.

Last night we stayed at a Ryokan, a more traditional Japanese inn, with hosin (hot springs) on site. Not quite what I was expecting (more like how I pictured a regular bath house would be, rather than hot spring) but incredibly, amazinging wonderful nonetheless. When I got out, I felt like I was druged or something. Had there been a cool tub, I might have refused to get out all night. Heck, I might still be there now.

Before that, we went to a studio where they make some of the crafts that Aizu is known for, particularly Red Bulls. I have a picture I'll post soon. After, the sake brewery. Konpai! there was tasting and some purchases - one bottle of a very nice sake, and a couple small bottles of a cheaper one I like just as much. This is a much different type of sake than I've had before - there isn't the harshness at the end that I've experienced. Very smooth.

Leaving Aizu was kind of sad for me. I had a great time there, and while Tokyo is okay, it isn't the greatest place in the whole world. I'm going to head out to a few neighborhoods I wanted to wander around a bit more, and a friend and I are talking about going to one of the baths in Tokyo tomorrow night. Sushi at one of the conveyor belt places in Harajuku tonight - yay!!

No comments: