Friday, June 16, 2006

Baseball

Tonight we went to a baseball game at the Tokyo Dome. Sadly, the Giants lost. It was definetly an experience - navagating the Tokyo subway, trying to find something to eat when my language skills are fairly limited to "thank you," "excuse me," "how much is that?" and smiling and pointing, and trying to figure out exactly what's going on in most situations. It has been somewhat rare (and good, if challenging) to not have one of our "handlers" - people from the program or hotel staff - or be in Aksaska, a neighborhood that seems to be pretty used to idiot gaijin (foreigers). Whenever I try to say one of the maybe 6 phrases I know in Japanese, people seem to be pleased that I've made the attempt, but also look at me like I'm kind of a well-meaning idiot. I am GREAT at the smiling-pointing-smiling-thank-you-routine. Sumimasen. Arigato.

Tomorrow is our free day. I have several hundred yen on a subway pass and plans to explore several neighborhoods, including some shops in Kichijoji and Shinjuku, much of Harajuku, and possibly the electronics areas. I am headed out with some friends, but we all have the understanding that there is no expectation that it will be a group-type of day. There will be a couple of "meet up if you wanna go here" times, but other than that, time to just explore and experience.

No comments: