Thursday, June 29, 2006

today was my last full day in Japan. Tomorrow I fly back through Chicago to Indianapolis, then drive home.

I'm really sad and don't want to leave. I finally feel like I am at the basic level of being able to function as an adult in a place where everything is a bit of a struggle. I feel like even basic things - transportation, food acquisition, social interactions - require more thought and logic than I ever thought would be necessary. I feel like I'm being intellectually challenged all the time, and I kind of love it. I don't want to leave. It isn't that I love Tokyo - I don't - but rather, I feel like I am ready to start something new and I don't want to wait.

And I have to wait.

And while later, I know that I will appreciate having the time to learn how to read in Korean and how to navigate basic interactions in a new language, I still don't want to. I want to know where I am teaching, and exactly when I start, and I sort of don't want a month and a half in Indiana. I mean, there are people I would like to see before I go, but I feel that overall, I'm ready to get started. At least now I know what I don't know, and what I wish I knew.

This experience has been incredibly powerful and there really is no way for me to put it into words.

No comments: