Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I found a gym near my house. It is small and not particularly well equipped, but serviceable, and they guy who runs (maybe owns?) is actually pretty knowledgeable and corrected my from in a couple of places. When I went last night, it was a little uncomfortable (how was I to know that the 10k bar on the bench press would flip like that when I took off the plate?) but this morning, it was nice. And he put my name in English next to the place for "my" locker key. It is open from 6am-midnight. Rock.

Also, there is a small yarn store on my walk to and from school. I haven't been able to go inside yet, but at least there is one. There is a plant store near my apartment, the guy at the corner market understood my charades when looking for an umbrella this morning, and the tuna comes in a pop-top can (good, as I was lacking a can opener). While a few nights ago i was very upset and wondering what the heck I have done, I now feel a lot more positive and like I am actually able to form a life here.

Oh, and I finished a sweater last night.

I have had multiple incidents of bleach abuse in the past, and at one time had to put myself on bleach time-out. The more things change, the more they stay the same, and as I was trying to find the best place to hang my clothes drying rack (a rather futile attempt at the moment...) I dropped the full rack on the floor, and only later realized that I may not have rinsed the bleach off very well. A tee-shirt and one of my favorite skirts are now "arty" I guess, but whatever. Maybe I'll embroider or something. In the words of Tim Gunn, I'll make it work.

When I walked into the teacher's room, everyone said "good morning" to me in English, and looked very pleased when I replied in Korean. Things are okay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You travel the path you were meant to travel. Aunt Mimi