Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Well, I have an alien card, I made a good impression by trying to eat Korean lunch with teachers and students, I've opened a bank account, and my co-teacher is calling about getting internet set up. I had a melt down in the immigration office when they said that the card would take two days to get, as I can't get reimbursed for my flight or my relocation allowance or start internet service until I open a bank account, and I can't get the account until I get the card. I have no idea what is wrong with me. But at least my melt downs are in the form of being blatantly on the brink of tears instead of being angry or something. They were able to get the card taken care of in 25 minutes, I think mostly to keep from having to see me cry. While I won't have internet tonight ("but you should have tomorrow!") at least I know that things are in motion. And there is enough need for cleaning that I should be reasonably busy tonight, anyway.

Also, I have re-entry stamp on my passport, so I am free to move about the world.

The bank account went as smoothly as possible, I guess. It is really hard to talk about specific details when there are both problems with content and communication. The woman at the bank was actually pretty good at being able to understand what I needed, and the account is at a bank that can do wire transfers and which has a branch in my neighborhood (Gwangyeong-dong - though I will have to go into town to do the transfers)and which is not horribly far via taxi.

Having to depend on someone else for a lot of basic things is hard, particulalry when things aren't going at the pace I would like them to. I know it sounds stupid, but not having internet at home makes me feel even more disconnected and strange, and right now I could really use a big dose of normal - whatever that may be here. Also, my co-teacher is supposed to point out a gym to me today, and so hopefully I'll be able to go tonight. I'm feeling kind of out of it, and a little bit of the sads, and I'm thinking that the gym will help. Tomorrow, I'll run, even if I have to do it on the cobblestone sidewalks. I just need something to perk me up a little.

I've started to attack the filth in the apartment, and think that I have at least a start on getting rid of the mildew in the bathroom. It has moved into at least liveable at this point.

It is kind of funny - even in Korea I'm teaching in a lower-income area. Some things are just meant to be, I guess.

The rest of this week, it seems that I have time to prepare and adjust. So, I'll be online on aim or msn in what will be evening for most of you. Though the basic version of Trillian doesn't have a spell check (and therefore all bets are off in regards to spelling...) I would love the chance to talk, even if just through text, with people with whom I don't have to think about every word. If you need the usernames, let me know.

When I look out the window of the teacher's room, I see a huge green hill that goes almost straight up. There are trees that look like crepe myrtle, and kids playing in the hallways sound about the same anywhere. People have been very kind, and if this is harder than I had hoped, it is not nearly as bad as it could be.

No comments: