Saturday, August 26, 2006

It's hard to talk about how I'm feeling or dealing with everything that is going on because there is so much up and down to this adjustment. This is hard, but not a lot harder than I thought it would be, and not more than I can deal with. Tonight was good. There are some really, really wonderful people, and walking through downtown Gwangju I ran into five people I knew. Out of the group of us talking in the street, four are going to be pretty close to where I'll be living. This totally balances out the folks who are like nails on a chalkboard.

And the not having a co-teacher here today isn't the end of the world. Rolling with the punches and all. I have friends here - and friends of friends - who have been through this (including many who have done this through this program) who will help make sure I know what I need to do and how to go about getting it done, and while I don't have as much information as I might like, I need to get used to not having what I want when I want it.

Breathing. It will be fine.

Today I ran a little more than three miles, and I'm getting better at dealing with the hills and all. The concrete is hard on my knees, but nothing that can't be managed, though I'm holding off on any long runs until I get a little more settled, I think. At the gym the other day, I lifted 85 kg for sets. Crappy, barely full-depth squats, but nonetheless, 85 is a lot of kilos! (that translates into a little more than 187lbs, which is a lot of lbs. and a rather big chunk greater than 100% of bodyweight at this point) I'm not thinking I'm ready for that all the time, but DANG. Also, I'm almost done with a sweater I've been working on. There is at least a little more than culture shock and jet lag and orientation sessions going on.

No comments: