Monday, April 30, 2007

Not bad, but not one for the kids.

One of the things that cracks me up more than anything else are the unintentional sexual innuendo in ESL textbooks. I mean, not as much as the incredibly inappropriate English on clothing (elementary school students wearing "too drunk to fuck" t-shirts, for example) but still, a lot.

Because I don't have that filter that causes me to be ashamed to say almost anything, I did explain to my co-teacher that "female trouble" and "female problems" were usually used as a reference to menstrual/reproductive issues. But there was just no way I was going to be able to explain why saying "Why don't you eat out?" might not be the best way to reference going out to dinner with friends. But then, I have the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy.

1 comment:

MUD said...

The same thing applies here. When the students get off the bus in the morning there is always one or two that got to school with something that the parents have to replace before the student go into a classroom. I am appalled that more parents don't look at their daughters before they leave the house looking like hookers. Skirts so short they would make a cheerleader blush and low rider pants showing thongs just don't have a place in middle school. I give up all hope for the high school kids. They are on their own but the 13 year olds just need supervised.