Sunday, April 08, 2007

well, at least I know that it is difficult to break in...

Okay, the good first. I'll have pictures of my own soon, but yesterday was a great day!

A friend wrote about it here.

I have come a long way in terms of just taking things in stride, but I hit my limit sometime between realizing that my backpack was still in Suncheon and there was no way I could get it before going home.

Now, the easiest thing would have been for me to have just spent the night in Suncheon again, but I have been sleeping really badly, and it is always worse when I am not at home and I just wanted SLEEP. So I grabbed the bus back to Gwangyang, and made arraignments to meet up with a friend or take the bus back up the next day. You should note that this is still me taking things in stride.

Until I got in the taxi in Gwangyang and realized that my apartment keys were in my backpack in Suncheon. This was after all the buses had stopped running, and I actually asked the driver to take me to Suncheon (about $25) when I couldn't get a hold of the friend with my bag, and decided to see if I would be able to break into my own apartment. The driver who than charged me $15 for making him turn around. Twice. I hate him.

So, after climbing over my balcony and getting the screen open, I realized that I am not able to get through the sliding glass door. At all. And go to the security shack to see if there is any way they can get me in. Eventually, he decided to see if the locksmith is there (it is abut 10:30 on Saturday night) and somehow decided to knock on the door of the yarn shop across the street. The owner recognizes me, and decides to get in on the game. We find the locksmith, and he is pretty sure he can get me in.

Right now, this is still costing me less than the taxi to Suncheon.

I now know that it is really difficult to break into my apartment. And requires powertools. And eventually a lock replacement, which does cost more than the taxi to Suncheon.

I do not even want to begin talking about my experiences trying to do my taxes - it is just upsetting. If I had worked outside the US - OR - used my Americorps award, that would probably be one thing, but with both it is just... bad. Badbadbad. I am paying for the Turbo Tax review to make sure that everything was filled out correctly before doing the State return(s). This might hurt.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jessie. Just checked Virginia's blog. It sounded like a terrific day, until the end, that is. Also, I noticed your "I'm not a happy camper" face. I hope things are better now. Happy Easter. Love, Mom

Ms Parker said...

No! That was a pose - that was a "FIERCE face" (too much America's Next Top Model maybe) - it was taken at the beginning of the day, and we were all still very happy and putzing around with camera settings and such.

xoxo

Virginia

MUD said...

Perhaps one apartment key on a necklace around your neck? Why all the taxi's when you had a motor bike. Jump on that sucker and go get the other keys, No wait, the bike key was in that purse too. What a crappy day I hope you had abeeter one over the weekend. MUD

MUD said...

Better, better, better. Damn finger spell checker doesn't always work.