Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Climbing - Mokpo folks

This is mostly for the kids who are in Mokpo, and have mentioned being interested in climbing,

After talking to friends last weekend, I will be going to Ironpalms, and my plan for right now is to head in the Thursday after Chuseok. A bunch of folks have mentioned being interested in learning to climb, and I think this will be the best choice for me, and probably for most folks who are at the beginner level, too.

It isn't cheap - the first month is 80,000\, but includes instruction, After that, it is 50,000/month. It is in Hadang, and if you would rather do drop-in, it is 7,000\/day, but I don't know if that includes training. I think you can rent shoes there, but no clue about the quality/available sizes. I know that you can buy gear in Mokpo, and can find out where (Ricky?), but I'm not sure what the guys will be able to find. I know that you can order stuff on-line in Korea, but unless your Korean is a lot stronger than mine, you will probably need assistance to do so, as it is mostly in Korean.

There is a climbing gym in Old Mokpo (Mokpo Climbing Club) but they are not as beginner-friendly. Also, it was suggested that if there is a group interested, it might be a good idea to head to the same place, and I've heard good things about the guy who owns Ironpalms.

For general information about climbing in Korea (and a good way to connect with other foreign climbers here), Korea on the Rocks is a great place to start. I plan to climb as much as I can before it gets too cold, and would love to have folks to travel with.

If you are not on Facebook and want my phone number, send me an email.

No comments: