Monday, September 17, 2007

Typhoon

This weekend, Typhoon Nari was aimed at South Korea. I, in my brilliance, decided that I would hold the course and head up to Ganhyeon, a climbing area pretty darn close to as far away from Mokpo as you can get.

It was great! Well, really, it was wet - it had been raining the night and a chunk of the morning before we got there - but wasn't actually raining until about noon on Sunday, so while the rock was wet, we got in at least a little climbing and I got to hang out with some awesome people I hadn't seen in a while.

Of course, today is sunny and stunningly beautiful and I am stuck inside. But don't worry, the weather is supposed to go to crap again in time for next weekend.

On the bus, I had time to talk with some other women who climb and live here in Mokpo. My "get better at climbing" course of action for right now is to join the climbing gym in Hadang (for Mokpo folks, Ironpalms) after Chuseok for at least a month in order to build a stronger technical climbing base. After the first month, I'll then decided if I'll switch to Mokpo Climbing Club (which is closer to my house but less welcoming to beginners from what I have heard) or if I'll stay there over the winter.

So between race entrance fees and memberships at the climbing gym and the regular gym, the bulk of my monthly spending will be in fitness-related areas. I'm okay with that, but it still seems so bizarre to be at this point, given where I started. Not bad, just strange.

No comments: