Friday, September 28, 2007

Jeju

This week was Chuseok in Korea. Chuseok is the major family holiday in Korea - imagine the family importance of both Thanksgiving and Christmas rolled into one. So we had a 5 day weekend, and I went to Jeju-do with a big group of friends. What easily could have been the longest 4 days any group of people has ever spent together actually turned out to be an incredibly amazing vacation, and I was really sort of sad to leave the island.
beach

The ferry over was great. For some reason, when my co-teacher helped me make reservations, she said there was only economy (in the depths of the ship, can be kind of smelly and bad) or second class bunks. I went with the bunks, and it was awesome, if a bit more expensive then I would have liked.
Sloane on the ferry Monique peek JP

Though I have to admit, I spent most of the time out on the deck. It was nicer than being inside.

Once we got there, we checked into our cabin/pension, and walked down to the beach.
On the rocks pinecone baseball

And sent people off for food. Monique and Stu and I held down the fort and made sure that the soju was fit for consumption.

Then the boys cooked - YAY!
Cooking, night 1
And the girls offered positive reinforcement in order to perpetuate this behavior. For the most part, it worked.
Girls relaxing while the boys cooked

Day 2
It rained. And rained. We went to Loveland, the sex museum and sex sculpture park. This is the only picture I can post:
The only picture I can show from Loveland

And we saw a waterfall and the ocean being dark and dramatic.
Waterfall Rocks

(TBC - need to logoff...)

No comments: