Thursday, November 29, 2007

and that may be the end of that

Well, it looks like the new climbing gym might be closing and/or going under new management. The guy who owns it is talking to someone about selling.

Though granted, there are both up and downsides - I finally stood up for myself to a Korean man and pointed out that I 1) knew I was big for a climber - particularly in Korea - and didn't need to be reminded about it and 2) if I kept hearing about it I wouldn't be able to go back there. Also, although I got one long, solid route in, he more wanted to talk after that, so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped.

I guess I'm just frustrated. I want to be able to climb inside this winter, but it seems that my only real option is to climb where I don't have a lot of fun. I'm just not sure what to do right now. And I'm co-dependent enough to say things like, "well, really, was it really that bad?" or "maybe I'll feel differently if I only do XYZ" or wonder if I'm just being a big whiny baby.

You know what? Screw it. If there this place stays open, even under new management, I'll climb there, but I was really becoming unhappy and a total crankypants and no fun to be around from climbing at the other gym. And while I was becoming a better gym climber, I wasn't seeing it transfer to climbing outside in a proportionate way. I'll try to get out with friends as much as possible, and will focus on general strength and fitness at the regular gym, but I really just don't want to keep setting myself up to feel bad about myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you climb wherever you go on vacation this winter?
Maybe by the time you get back the gym situation will have sorted itself out. Or things will be better at the bad one.