Saturday, November 17, 2007

full circle

I finished a hat I started on Monday at school as my "school knitting" project - the thing I work on to keep my hands busy while I'm basically just doing crowd control while my co-teacher teaches or while I'm playing on the internet during the massive amount of downtime I have during the day. It is handspun dark brown alpaca with a few stripes of a variegated pinkish awesome-ish yarn I bought in Terre Haute before heading to East Tennessee last summer. I bought the alpaca in Gatlinburg, so it really is fitting that I was working on it as I move into major homesickness time for me (around Thanksgiving. Hits me wicked hard). It is super warm and soft. I'm pleased.

And the warm will come in handy this weekend, as the weather seems to have decided to turn into winter. And I am climbing this weekend with the Korean club. And have I ever mentioned that I am a delicate flower and really don't like the cold much? BUT I have a new fabulous "down" vest, and will be able to wear the handknit sweater that is too warm for almost anything other than a Korean classroom in winter and a new super-cool hat, so here's hoping that I don't freeze my little fingers off.

I'm actually a little nervous about this climbing trip.

Also, if I was ASKED to go, I'd be super-psyched, but since I was TOLD to go, I'm being cranky about it. Because that's how I roll (just typing that makes me laugh out loud. Moving on.).

Okay, happy news again, the yarn I ordered from the states arrived and I have been swatching (!!!! I almost never do that) for a sweater with this stunning brown tweedy yarn, and since I can't even get close to gauge I'm going to risk it and just make the smallest size, which after doing some math, should be close enough. I have also started a pair of mittens in the softest yarn I have ever worked with - La Fiesta Baby Boom in plum pudding. Mostly pink with hints of purple. This is where pictures would be awesome, yeah? Oops. Anyway, Merino, pretty, and the latest school knitting project. And we are full circle again.

No comments: