Friday, November 02, 2007

NaKniSweMo

For those who don't know, for several years NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month - gets thousands of people to commit to writing a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. About .009% of participants are eventually published (If you don't count the people who self-publish) but for the next month, about 100,000 people on the internet will think of themselves as writers.

More people reading, more people writing, more people thinking about the power of words. All good things. But I think that calling myself a "writer" because I can crank out 50,000 words would be like calling myself a chef because I cooked dinner.

So instead of NaNoWriMo, I will be participating in NaKniSweMo, where I will commit to knit a 50,000 stitch sweater in a month.

And I'm almost enough of a geek to figure out how many stitches the sweater I want to work on actually has.

No comments: