Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Knowledge is power

Did you know that there are these buildings where you can go and they let you take home BOOKS?!? for FREE!!?? And that some of the books are about knitting? And that scanning pictures means i wouldn't even have to pack pieces of paper?

Yesterday I had my dad sign a paper so I could work out at the rec center on campus, which means I get weight room, track, pools, and classes for $15 for the rest of my life or something. Also, they gave me a 3 month parking pass for the campus free, so I can park ANYWHERE! Woo! I was then able to use my new id to get a library card, which rocks. I will have to upload and post the picture of the weight room - it really is a cage, with a fence and everything.

Also, I found out where I'll be next year. Gwangyang-si, which is a city to the east of where I had hoped to be. Honestly, last night I was more than a little disappointed to not be in the town where I already know people and was pretty much in shock. I think in part I was just freaked out about jobs and things being really real. I've been talking to people and drawing analogies for myself - Gwangyang:Yeosu::Metairie:New Orleans::Ft. Wingate:Gallup::Dad's house:Campus. I'll be about 20 minutes outside of Yeosu, which all things considered isn't bad. I really loved being in Aizu, which is the same size as Gwangyang. This will be good.

Now, I'm starting to work backwards from my departure date. I asked for a specific date that is a bit earlier than orientation would begin, and I'm just waiting to see if it is approved. I need to go to Chicago within the next couple of weeks, I'm going down to Memphis, and I have many little details I need to figure out, but nothing insurmountable. Car insurance and storage, storage of stuff, visa, detailsdetailsdetails. I have the clothes I bought for Japan, but a bunch of that is already on the baggy side. I don't think I'll need much but if I do need more than I think, I'll pay the extra shipping and order online or have someone here send it to me. I need a smaller pair of jeans for the next few weeks, but other than that I think I'm going to wait until closer to when I leave. Also, I am pulling back on what I plan to take or ship. For example, I really don't need to ship ALL my yarn to myself. They will have yarn there, I'm sure. I can scan in parts of some of my knitting books - I don't need to take them with. Only what is necessary.

No comments: