Friday, April 21, 2006

I am having a hard time with the decision making process in terms of jobs. A cut and paste from an email to a friend - the input of others greatly appreciated.

In order of offers:

#1 - shared apartment, teachers positive about experience. 2.0 million won/month. Contract not super-clear, but the owner seemed like a nice guy. For sure no cameras in the classroom.

#2 - not as good of a feeling on the phone, but the people who work there were REALLY positive about their experience. Verbal agreement to single apartment, but not in the contract. (three teachers, 2 apartments. the person I talked to who teaches there said about 90% chance that won't change.) 1.9 million won/month, token relocation costs. unsure about cameras in the classroom.

#3 - good feeling from phone, I "know" someone who knows the owner, (friend of a friend) 2.2 million won/month, single studio apt., clear contract. Would probably work more than at the other schools. For sure cameras in the classroom, and while former teachers are positive (as I would assume they would be since he gave me the email addresses) the people who are there now weren't. They weren't negative, but no ringing endorsements. While some were brand new, the other had been there for a while and while he wasn't negative, talked about how he had to put in more time than he thought. Although the link was no longer active, showed up in relationship to a black/greylist site, but not sure why (which is the part that is really freaking me out) - but seems to be because they only hire North American teachers.

So, while a few hours ago I felt really good about my decision, now I'm starting to question it. A friend who is currently there has offered to "interview" the school director tonight (they were going to play poker, anyway) so I think I am going to email the other schools and let them know I need the weekend to decide. Although I said "yes" initially in the email to the third school, I'm starting to question myself.

Expect phone calls this weekend.

No comments: