Sunday, December 10, 2006

The concise version:

This weekend, Mokpo. Good food, good friends, rock climbing (at which I am really bad, but enjoy). In pain, but in that good way that says you tried hard, so it is okay that you got your ass handed to you (at least that's how I'm looking at it).



The more verbose version:
This weekend I went to Mokpo, a town on the opposite side of Korea (on the coast on the China side, whereas I'm on the Japan side) to go rock climbing and hang out with friends.

Saturday afternoon was made up of meeting new people, chai, coffee, talking, the vegetarian buffet (that was almost wipped out by the time we got there but still pretty darn good) and hottok from a street vendor that was WONDERFUL (of course, I'm not sure how you can screw up fried dough with brown sugar and nuts...) and the night was spent at a good friend's apartment with girl talk, homemade banana bread and cheesy movies.

Sunday morning, the best breakfast I've had in months. Seriously. Massive amounts of coffee (for the Canadians, my first experience with Tim Horton's), pancakes, fruit, maple syrup, deliciousness. My friend Sloane is wonderful and amazing.

It was cold but looked like the sun would be out, so we climbed outside. I suck, my fingertips are scraped raw, I fell a bunch, and my entire body hurts right now, but it was a good time. I didn't complete the route - I just couldn't see anything, and what I did see I couldn't make myself do at the end. Back on the ground, I almost couldn't open my nalgene bottle. I was done in. But I tried and I'm learning, so there's that. I think there are pictures, so once I re-charge the batteries, I'll upload what came out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

geez. . . stop being so hard on yourself. . . be proud that you were one of 4 (that i know of) people who actually thought "yeah, i'll travel a few hours to go rock climbing in decemeber in korea!!)

oh, and thanks for linking the veggie site. ..

definitely we'll have to get together as jeonju isn't so very far away. . . and come springtime a forrey to kayasan (with ropes and a partner!!) will be super cool!