Wednesday, December 27, 2006

external hard drive failure

it seems that i have a fried external hard drive on my hands. Which means I may have lost almost 20 gigs of music, all pictures that weren't uploaded to flickr or photobucket, and all documents.

I should be able to retrieve things like my resume that were sent via email, but most of my grad school papers are gone. More than anything, it is the pictures that have me the most worried.

I currently have the hard drive in the freezer, as I've read that can buy me some time to transfer data. I gave it 45 minutes a while ago, and while I got it to boot, it wouldn't read. I'm hoping if I give it more time I'll be able to at least grab most of the pictures and the documents. It sucks to lose the music, but that can be replaced.

I'm basically looking at this thing as being dead. I'm willing to take any and all suggestions in terms of getting any data possible off the thing.

1 comment:

MUD said...

If you were in the US, I would direct you to the nearest teen ager and they would have an answer. Us old guys have no clue how things work other than they do. There is an old saying that is good for everything. Back up everything! Make a CD or DVD of your storage items as well as the memory stick. Things like memory fail. Happy Holidays. I will start being a substitute teacher after the first of the year. Dennis