Thursday, August 16, 2007

Packed

I think I'm finally packed to head back to Korea.

There is a new weight limit on bags for Economy tickets (50lbs), which I knew about. My cunning plan was to send myself a box surface delivery, which usually took about a month+. So I packed up a couple of boxes of things I would be very happy to see around October.

Except the US postal service no longer offers surface shipping.

And sending just one of the boxes I wanted to ship would have cost over $90.

After several back and forths with bags and a scale, I got one of the boxes of stuff into my checked baggage, but there is still one more very heavy one. I am waiting to hear back from some friends on base in Korea (and therefore with an APO, meaning the same cost as sending it within the US), but the time difference isn't making the communication any easier. I'm pretty sure they won't have a problem with it, but I don't want to just SEND something without making sure it is okay first. So it is looking like my folks will either have to send it to my brother, who will then send it using his FedEx discount directly to me, or they will send it to one of the military folks. I'm so grateful that I have people here who are so willing to help me out, but it is frustrating that I need their help.

But everything will be fine, I'm sure. I've been mumbling "I'll be ok" to myself over and over today. I'm really not excited about going back. Having lunch with a friend was great, and it makes it even harder to leave here. I mean, I wouldn't want to live in Terre Haute again, but leaving the US is hard.

And in my totally and complete baby-ness, the fact that it is hot over there with 80%+ humidity and I don't have AC in Gwangyang and need to clean and finish packing makes me even MORE grumpy about all this. BOO!!

No comments: