Monday, August 20, 2007

This weekend has been good - busy and fun and seeing people and things and being reminded that being here isn't bad at all. Tomorrow night I'm moving into my new place, and while I'm a little sad to leave here, I will be SO happy to be settled in one place! I've been living in suitcases and boxes for so long, a real place will be nice.

In Suncheon last weekend, some friends and I were going to go and get our nails done. What can I say, I yield to peer pressure. Anyway, we had to make an appointment and go back a few hours later. After wandering around downtown for a while, we went back, but couldn't get in because of a protest outside the New Core Department Store. Basically, the company that owns New Core and Homever fired a LOT of part time workers country-wide(in addition to falsifying employment records) so that they didn't have to give part-time workers benefits.

When we went past, there didn't seem to be many people there, but when we got closer, we saw that there were waves protesters pushing themselves against police in riot gear. It wasn't too worrisome for us - we kept a fairly good distance, and we were talking about how it was good to see people standing up for what they believed in here. Until they fired off the tear gas - then we headed back to the apartment where a friend was staying.

When I left a while later, there were still protesters sitting in the street in front of the store - actually, it looked like there were more people there - and they were watching some younger men do a group dance routine.

I took pictures of the protest, but haven't uploaded them yet. I'll do so when I finally unearth the cord.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, it sounds like you had quite an exciting trip for a manicure. I can't say that stuff happens to much here in Albuquerque.
I'm so happy you are reading my blog. I had forgotten that you are a fellow knitter. I haven't ever been to the stores on the Rez that you talked about but will have to make it a point now.
I hope all is going well for you in Korea. My brother just got back from a year there with the millitary.

Ms Parker said...

Very sorry I missed the young men dancing....

My nails are still really ugly.