Saturday, May 20, 2006

Race

My first 5K race is this Sunday. I know I'll be able to finish, and I might not even be last, but I'm still nervous. I've run the course, and the last mile is HARD. Finding out today that the mountain bikers refer to that section of the trail as "The House of Pain" just confirmed it.

Last weekend on the way to Albuquerque, I was talking with friends who have run for years. They were talking about how they had come in last in races before (one somewhat regularly), and how DFL (dead fucking last) is always better than DNF (did not finish).

I have a bunch of friends who will be there with me, so that's good. Because of how steep the hills are on the first and last mile, I'm aiming for a sub-45 minute time, which is totally do-able I think, but I'd like to be sub-40, which is where I think I'd be pretty easily if the route was flatter, and what I have done a couple times in my neighborhood and on the treadmill.

I was thinking this morning about how great it will be to run in Indiana, because while there are hills, there are lots of sections of nice flat flatness between. I think I'm going to register for a couple of 5K's in July in Indiana.


In other news, I finished the socks. Fraternal rather than identical twins, but done is good.

No comments: