Thursday, May 04, 2006

verbs/nouns

On my drive home yesterday, I started thinking about when it is appropriate to define oneself with a noun instead of a verb. For example, I now identify myself as a knitter as opposed to saying "I knit." I am a teacher, as opposed to saying "I teach."

I've been running for a little less than two months now, and I run at least some distance (even if it is only a mile) everyday. Most days I log between 2-5 miles. (I can't do 5 in one shot, so most weekdays I'll break it over two shorter runs) and yet I haven't felt comfortable identifying myself as a runner. I don't look like one, and I often don't feel like one as I gasp for breath on runs when I try to kick up my pace or face a rough section of trail.

When do you move from a verb to a noun in self-identification?



And speaking of running, I came across this podcast - Podrunner - which is amazing. I'm usually not a huge fan of electronica, but I LOVE this. They are about an hour of music that is at a specific beat per minute, and there is a new one each week. Awesome.

No comments: