Friday, May 12, 2006

socks and shoes

I turned the heel of the second sock in a pair I started ages ago and am almost all the way through the gusset decreases.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the fun part of socks - there is enough to do to keep me engaged, but it is for the most part mindless knitting I can do while monitoring the students doing research in the library, and right now I'm close to the end. As opposed to the beginning of top-down socks, where after the first inch or so, a million miles on itty-bitty needles starts to grate on my nerves. Especially the second sock. Maybe I should just start making little footy-type socks, which is what I wear the most, anyway. Though I may try a jaywalker and the lace socks in the Spring Interweave Knits...

I think I need to go to Albuquerque to go to a real running store sometime soon. I need someone who actually knows what they are talking about to tell me what kind of shoes I should be wearing. The arch of my foot (just past the ball) is blistered again, even though I've been taping it consistently (and a side note, I cannot tell you how much I hate taking tape off the bottom of my foot. ugh.) and I'm not totally sure what type of shoes I need. If I wear stability or motion control, I get nasty pain - bursitis maybe? Same thing that happens in some pairs of high heels - in the middle of the ball of my foot, kinda on the outside edge, but everything I've read says that "heavy runners" - anyone over 150 lbs - normally should go for stability or motion. Basically, I think I need a stability shoe with a lot of cushioning. I just don't know exactly what that would be.

No comments: