Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Doctors and Korean lessons

started to get the cold of DOOM last week - the kind where my voice goes completely away or I sound like Patty and Selma from The Simpsons. So, since today was day two of all-day sports competition and I had nothing to do, and the last two times this happened it was a sinus infection that progressively got worse until I was starting to cough from the river of phlegm going down my throat so badly that even the students suggested I go to the doctor, I went to the doctor today. Or rather, the hospital, because somehow, here that seemed to be what everyone wanted me to do.

And it is Salang Pyongwon - Love Hospital. How could I say no?

I took a taxi in to Jungma, and in less time than it would have taken to for me to wait for the doctor when I had an appointment in the US, I got in, was taken to the only reception person willing to speak English, saw a doctor (who spoke English reasonably well), went three doors down to get a bunch of packets of pills and a bottle of really vile syrup of some sort, and got out the door. Now, I'm not really sure what is wrong - I think he agreed sinus infection - and I'm supposed to go back on Friday. All told, including taxis to the hospital, to Home Plus, and back home, I spent $5 less than my co-payment for a doctor in New Mexico. AND I didn't have an appointment or have to wait at all! (my co-teacher called to warn them that I would coming by - that probably helped.)

I also went to Home Plus. It is a wonderland. Dark Chocolate Hershey's Kisses. Wheat bread. Tortilla chips. Single-serving frozen pizza that doesn't taste like the sauce was made from ketchup AND with only cheese and nothing strange - like carrots or corn - on it. All manner of deliciousness.

Also, the Face Shop, which is kind of like The Body Shop, has nailpolish for a dollar. A DOLLAR!! How can you go wrong?
________________

Last night, I went up to Suncheon for the free Korean class. I wish I was closer! It was good because it made me think a lot faster when reading Korean letters, and I like the idea of having the struture of a "class" to make me actually study. It was also a really good reminder of how hard my classes must be to all but some of the more advanced students. So, more differentiation in the classes I teach, and even though it is a long way to go (and I missed the last bus out of Suncheon and had to taxi to the main terminal in Gwangyang-Eup - about halfway home for me! oops!) as long as I can cut out a little bit earlier, I think I'm going to try to make it back for the Monday classes.

No comments: