Sunday, October 22, 2006

This weekend has been pretty lovely, all things considered.

Friday:
I attended a workshop that I was notified about the day before. There was some timing issues with the bus (okay, not with the bus, but with the fact that while eleventy-million taxis go by while I'm walking to work, that day I had to walk forever to find one. Foiled! And also maybe that I move too slowly in the morning.) that was solved with some creative taxi solutions, and I crashed out for another two hours on the bus. Literally, sprawled across the seats. I'm so classy.

I got to hang out with awesome folks, though there is something a little sad about losing my voice the day I'm finally around people where I can talk at a natural pace all the time.

An aside - I have a cold. Well, actually, I have the exact same symptoms as the sinus infection I had last school year, and what I need is flonaze and antibiotics. And I need to try to find a doctor who speaks English. When I asked my co-teacher, her response was that she thought ALL doctors would be able to do so. Um, I'm guessing she's wrong on that one.

So, hanging out with friends in Gwangju, a ride from a friend to Yeosu (didn't have to take the bus! woo!), and a evening that included going to the gym (GEE, I'm a GIRL and I'm strong? and that is unusual here? you don't say.) curry, pizza, and poker. I'm not good at poker, but at least I came out ahead.

Saturday:
I love sitting around and talking to people over breakfast. And I got to do it two times! Yay. Also, Banana Nut granola bars ROCK. After that, I almost learned how change the oil on a motorcycle. I was only able to learn how to change the oil filter, as the bolt over the drain didn't want to budge without different tools. Anyway. I put the fairings back on, which was the only thing useful I really did. But I did learn a little more.

Motorcycling: One of the more interesting points of having two parents who are psychologists is that you are able to fairly accurately diagnose your own neuroses, yet have no idea how to actually CHANGE THE REACTION. Acknowledgment is not behavior change.

The short version is that the motorcycling started out reasonably well, became rather bad (not TOO dramatic, and mostly about me psyching myself out), and ended with me getting un-psyched-out and getting over my fear of driving into a ditch or into the curb. Or into parked cars, or that a vehicle was going to come out of nowhere. Once I was able to relax a little and realize that I AM able to make the bike go where I want it to go, things got better again quickly. I am able to do figure 8's, loops, and all the basics. What I need is actual road experience. I still do not like traffic, and would like to have the chance to practice in an area where there are a limited number of others on the road, which makes me want to have a bike here NOW.

To that end, I have bought this:

No comments: