Wednesday, October 25, 2006

kindness

I'm still sort of sick (not a lot, but still...), and when I'm sick I'm kind of mushy. That's the disclaimer.

Over the past several weeks, I've noticed many more teachers trying to talk with me - people who my first weeks at the school didn't say anything. I know that a lot Koreans won't try to speak English because they are afraid they'll make mistakes, so when people start trying to make an effort, I really, really appreciate it. Today, I noticed that one of the teachers was whispering to one of the English teachers, and then asked if I was ready for sports day - I'm almost positive he was trying to make sure he said it correctly. Another teacher came by and reminded me about volleyball practice tomorrow, and a third found out about yoga classes in a nearby neighborhood for me. One of the teachers I hung out with at the field trip took pictures and today gave me copies, and people make sure that I feel like I'm included in the meals before and after volleyball, that when there are snacks in the teachers' room I know I can take part, and invite me to go to lunch with them everyday.

All of these little kindnesses really make me wish I had better understanding of Korean, and will be why I try to take the bus to Suncheon once a week to try to get better. I may make mistakes but if they are willing to try, so am I.

1 comment:

Ms Parker said...

Sounds like your school is awesome!

It's great when you can communicate with your co-workers beyond smiles, nods and grunts!