Sunday, October 29, 2006

Halloween Weekend (part 1)

Three days, three towns, lots of bus rides.

Friday: After a day at Daap (how much do I love teaching at that school!? interobang!) I came home and packed a backback for the weekend, dashed to the bus terminal, and hopped on a bus for Suncheon.

* I should note that for some reason, the bus terminal in Gwangyeong has moved, and I'm not really sure where or why. Okay, I really don't care why, but the where would sure be helpful to know. I gave up and took a taxi.

In Suncheon, after arriving at Virginia'sI realized that the party the bar was having was supposed to be a costume party. Oops. After whining for a while, I decided I was "every other woman at my gym" which kind of morphed into popular girl to counter a friend's Emo boy costume, and wore lots of makeup, a pink tank-top with rhinestones, and my new favorite article of clothing, a baby-pink hoodie. Seriously, wearing this sweatshirt makes everything a little bit better. Oh, and I wore glitter. It was awesome in its lameness. (Okay, maybe just lame. Anyway.) Went out for a while, saw bunches of folks, ate hottok (these sort-of-pancakes that are stuffed with brown sugar and deliciousness) and laughed a lot.

6 people, one apartment in Shidae Apartments (read - somewhat small). Stu took the balcony.

Saturday:
After an amazing brunch, we finally set off. For motorcycle safty gear, it seems like women's jackets are a tiny bit too short, but US men's are too long, so my thinking was that a Korean men's jacket would be perfect. Virginia took me to her mechanic, and we ended up meeting my new bike. Or what will be my bike in a few days (a friend uses this mechanic, too, and had the bike checked out here, they should be delivering it to Gwangyang in the next couple of days!!) Sadly, I only had my camera phone:

(the bike and me and the bike. Only showing the last one to prove that it is a little bike - the first shot makes her look bigger than she really is.)

After extended goofyness and giddiness (all by me), a helmet for Virginia and a test drive for Stu, there was E-Mart.

There are some stores which are almost like wonderlands. They have a couple of delicious and familiar things in a sea of "Well, this LOOKS like it might be..." and E-Mart was one of those places. Evidenced by their having Enviro-Kids Peanut Butter Panda Puffs. Now, while I'm not the greatest fan of the peanut butter panda puff, it IS peanut butter flavored children's cereal, and beggars can't be choosers. I bought two boxes.

Okay, there will be more to follow that elaborates (with pictures!), but it is getting late - so the short version:
* working out at a gym and not having a single person say ANYTHING - Suncheon is awesome.
* amazing dinner
* Party, with friends in wonderful costumes
* First time rock climbing!!
* and being harassed by someone who appeared to be both mentally challenged and emotionally disturbed in the Suncheon bus termial. I have had bad bus-weirdo karma this week. Eep.

2 comments:

Ms Parker said...

It was great to have you here in Suncheon.

Can't wait for more pics of the weekend. I know that I'm still recuperating!

xoxo

Virginia

Jess said...

Ms Parker said...

It was great to have you here in Suncheon.


Thank you for being such an incredible host!! I had an awesome time.