Friday, January 19, 2007

Finished Objects

the earflap hat
Pattern: cobbled from random internet surfing and my "standard" hat formula.
Yarn: Maurice by Puppy Yarns
Neeldes: US #7 addi turbos


brown/gray hat

Knit with wool purchased in Tokyo. and also a picture of my new glasses. They are dark, dark green.

Made this up on the fly - ear flaps - co 4, increase every row until 17 stitches, couple rows st.st., cast on between the flaps, knit. Decreases based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's formula - multiple of 7, k2tog before marker, knit around until you want to end it, then dec. every round. The tassels are just braids. I thought they were cute. I also just noticed that I forgot to clip the extra from one of the ends I wove in. Oops.

Also, not a fan of how the brim rolls. probably should have done something to prevent that. Again, ooops. but it is warm and i like it.


Cable Hat

Pattern: Shedir (kntty.com)
Yarn: blue/gray fine (105m/40g) (see notes below)
Needles: Needles, US #1 bamboo (Crystal Palace)

cabled hat

The yarn was my first Korean yarn store purchase. It is hard to tell the yarn company, but it seems to be either "Silber Wool," "Soft Wool," or since it has a trademark image that matches something else I've bought, N.Y. Knitting Yarn Co. It is a super-wash merino, and while splity as splity can be, it IS very soft.

It was hard to get a decent picture of this - not sure why. Anyway, pictures of the body of the hat were blurry AND highlighted the flaws, so i didn't upload them.

The pattern is from the knitty breast cancer PDF, and is the most complicated cable pattern I've knit. I learned to cable without a cable needle, read a chart where the markers move, and patience. After reading recommendations, I did 3 of the 5 repeats of the main cable chart, but probably should have done 4. It is plenty big enough around, but I'd be happier if it was a TINY bit deeper. I also realized about 3/4 of the way through the project that I mis-crossed the main cable (due to not cabling without a cable needle correctly) but at that point, I just wanted to be DONE.

Red Silk Wrap:
bias wrap

Pattern: Clapotis (knitty)
Yarn: Red silk purchased in Tokyo (I can't even come close to reading the label.)
Needles: US#6 bamboo circs (maybe Clover? not sure)

I wanted something that would show off the yarn, and be something that I didn't have to pay too much attention to, but wasn't endless miles of St.st, either. Knit on the bias, rectangle, can be either wrap or scarf.

No comments: