Monday, January 01, 2007

Year in review...

drum.jpg

Last night, we were having a conversation about how we had changed in the past year.

In the past year, I:
* became a runner
* climbed Pyramid Rock for the first time
* competed in 3 5K races, one of which was a steep trail run at altitude
* was able to do a chin-up
* knit 2 sweaters
* was able to do squats with the equivalent of my body weight on the bar for reps
* was co-chair of a Special Education department
* became a behavior management "expert"
* learned to say "yes" to new experiences more often
* got my first passport
* left the US for the first time (other than going to Niagara Falls when I was in high school)
* reduced all my worldly possessions to what would fit into my car
* did a major road trip on my own.
* spent 3 weeks in Japan
* moved to Korea
* learned functional Korean language (well, almost...)
* went rock climbing for the first time
* became "good" at volleyball (so maybe only good in Korea, but still, good)
* went ice skating for the first time
* have been naked in public and okay with that countless times
* learned to ride a motorcycle
* bought a motorcycle

What I think so much of it boils down to is living more. I am willing to try, to learn, to risk looking foolish. To say yes as often as possible and to be less afraid. Or at least if I AM afraid, do things anyway.

It dawned on me yesterday as I was browbeating someone about not having "measurable goals" for her New Year's resolutions that maybe I have been a special education teacher for a little too long. Anyway. Instead of resolutions, which seem almost made in order to be broken, I thought that I would just write down some of my not-quite-short term goals.

1. Run at least three 5K and one 10K races
2. do a pull-up
3. toprope 5.9 climbs fairly consistently and lead climb a 5.8.
4. knit at least 2 sweaters that are wearable
5. lose the last few lbs that are still hanging on and maintain a healthy weight/BF%. From the scale, that seems to be about 15-20.

and one totally unmeasureable goal: continue to say "yes" as often as possible.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel unsure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. As we let our own Light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
- Marianne Williamson



first climb

Happy New Year. Be brave.

6 comments:

MUD said...

You haven't been a special educator too long until you start preparing an individual education plan to fix your friends problems. Sounds like you have a full and fun life. There was no mention of a personal relationship with anybody. I hope you find somebody that cares as much about you as you care about them 39 years in Feb. Happy new year to you.

Ms Parker said...

Awesome post.

How is "Keep being fabulous" not a measurable goal?

xoxo

Virginia

Unknown said...

Jessica...what he said. Love, Mom

Jess said...

How is "Keep being fabulous" not a measurable goal?

if you can show me the rubric for how fabulousness is measured, then you are totally right. Until then, maybe not so much. :)

(though I will admit that I was being annoying and right now I'm just looking for an excuse to use words like "rubric." Next thing you know, I'll work in pedagogy.)

Jess said...

Kathleen said...

Yay!! You commented!!

Love you.

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration! We will definitely have to hang out more this semester!

Peace,

Sonia