Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Things I love

I'm trying to organize thoughts and pictures and all that to talk about the camp and a trip to Sanggwonsa Temple last weekend. While that is happening, a quick list of things I love about Korea (because I'm tired of thinking about the things I miss and want and can't get right now).

* thick black (and grey and patterned...) cotton tights.
* the most amazing lip balm from The Face Shop. Shea butter, stays on forever, smells yummy.
* knee socks in garish colors.
* environmentally friendly green tea dish and laundry soap.
* those scrubby mitts that cost $.50.
* going to the doctor for a refill on my allergy meds, getting in to see a dermatologist in less than 5 minutes without an appointment.
* tiny little neighborhood yarn shops with really nice ladies in them.
* the sauna. Sometimes a little too much on the staring, but man, sometimes that green tea tub is sooo worth it. And have I mentioned the super-hot sauna with charcoal stuff in the ceiling? Because I love that, too.
* Chamchi (tuna) jjigae. Basically, kimchi stew with tuna. I never thought I would love anything with kimchi, but wow, so good.
* Kimchi tofu from this chicken restaurant in my neighborhood. Again, I never thought I would love anything made with kimchi, but that stuff rocks!
(I think it comes down to the kimchi being hot. It seems to make it better.)
* the adjumas who smile back at me.
* the little old men who are actually nice. (there are many, many Korean men who treat me and everyone else fairly horribly most of the time, so the old fellas who are nice are such a nice surprise!)

There is more and I will probably add more to this list, but just wanted to post a little bubble of good stuff.

4 comments:

Ms Parker said...

* Free stuff in stores;
* Being told you are beautiful 12 times a day, at least;
* Little kids who say hi to you;
* The "Korean surprise noise" when you manage to mumble out 2 words of Korean;
* "cheeg-eu ramyan" and kimbap;
* Knowing every single foreigner in the province, almost;
* The beauty products - nail polish, eye shadow, mascara... and this from someone who doesn't wear makeup!;
* Brown rice face scrub;
* Surreal TV game shows and music videos;
* Korean boy bands.

Jess said...

Ms Parker said...

- game shows and boy bands

+1 to everything else (but what is cheeg-eu ramyan?)

Melisa said...

-Korean stationary
-socks and slippas
-"Korean surprise noise" !!! hahah, followed by a five minute conversation with a smiling ajumma IN KOREAN, in which you just smile and nod. if you smile enough, you may get a free meal...

Jess, tell me your plans for vacation... I'm also 'learning Korean' and I'll need a break soon. :)

Jess said...

Jess, tell me your plans for vacation.

well, right now i'm waiting for confirmation from Sloane about when we are going to Thailand, but tickets right now are wicked expensive. I'm going for sure, and will be there at the very end of January through the first couple weeks of February. I may try to hook up with the millions of people going there (through climbing club and other teachers) but right now, I'm pretty open.

What about you?