Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Birthday

One of the things about have a birthday the day after St. Patrick's Day is that most people are too dragged out from the night before to be much fun. So for a while now, I've been celebrating my birthday with friends on the 17th, basically co-opting whatever St. Patrick's Day party that is going on. I mean, really. mememe, all about me.

This weekend was no different - at one of the bars in Suncheon there was a wedding reception, St. Patrick's Day party, and my birthday. The band played Happy Birthday at midnight and everyone sang for me (the fact that I didn't know most of the people in the bar, nor they me, is inconsequential, I think. Anyway.) but it was nice that friends made it happen.

The next day was low-key dinner and cake with friends, and yesterday a package of goodness arrived from the States. I am trying not to dive head-first into the cereal (more of a challenge than you might imagine) and the box was filled other things that make life here a little easier. I'm so grateful to have such amazing family and friends.

_______________________________________________

Today was one of the days where i just feel connected to being here. After playing volleyball with the team at my school, I walked around my neighborhood. I bought strawberries from the fruit stand, beef from the butcher, and a plant from the plant shop across the street from my apartment.

Also, proof that Korea loves me:
the new yarn store

This is a yarn store. That just opened in a storefront right across the street from my apartment. Sometimes Korea gives awesome birthday presents.

No comments: