Saturday, March 17, 2007

Homesickness/thing I miss.

Still surfing the wave of homesickness. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is cloudy and gray and I'm wanting it to be Spring already!!

So, a list of stuff I miss. (disclaimer: This is totally stream of consciousness, and doesn't mean that I hate Korea or anything like that. There is a list of stuff I love about Korea and I might do another list just about that stuff again soon. But this is stuff I miss from the US. Also, most of the food one are things I wouldn't eat or even really think about if they were available in this area. Being available in Seoul or only at costco doesn't really count right now. Wow, long disclaimer. Anyway.)

* Family/friends. I miss you. A lot
* Being able to drive. I haven't been behind the wheel of a car for 6 months now.
* the independence that comes from being fluent in the dominant language.
* cupcakes
* soft cookies (sugar, sinckerdoodle, toll house)
* Green chile dip. (think french onion, but with green chiles.) On Mike Sells Ruffeled potato chips would be perfect. (I cannot even get sour cream here easily. or plain yogurt that isn't sweet)
* Non-sweet yogurt, half and half, sour cream, cottage cheese... Basically, most dairy. Forget even low-cal/low-fat. Just ANY right now.
* Biscuits and gravy.
* Enchiladas/enchilada sauce. Green.
* CC's New Orleans Blend Coffee.
* Things being easy to figure out.
* Being able to really talk to most of the people around me.
* Running outside
* Mother's Peanut Butter Bumpers cereal. The expensive, organic, slightly tastier version of Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch. (an aside: I have actually ranked peanut butter flavored children's cereals. Is that strange? Wait, don't answer that...)
* Being able to browse in a bookstore.

okay, this list can go on and on, but it is just starting to get sad. I think it comes down to missing people, independence, and things. Especially food, which may be a post all on its own at some point. (not just me whining about food, but how food is such an integral part of home/comfort)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Jessica. I hope someone made you some nice, gooey cupcakes. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I wish all you USA friends could be there to give you a big group hug. In your life there will be lots of time for that. Try making a list of things you like/love about being there and see if there aren't a lot of things you would miss if you were home. If mom would send you the cup cake cups you could mak your own. Hint hint.. Happy Birthday MUD

Ms Parker said...

Caesar salad.
Or any normal salad that doesn't contain sweet corn.

Happy B-day.

Anonymous said...

Jess, make the PM trip to Jeonju. . . regular busses from Gwangju take about 1:10. . . call and I can come meet you from 4:00 T,W or 6:00 Th. . . I will show you where to get sour cream and non-sweet yogurt.

Just come up anyway!! or, this weekend if I come down Thurs on the start of my southern journey, I will bring you some of these things!

Peace,

Sonia

Jess said...

Sonia - making a costco trip with a few friends this weekend, I think. I'll hold you to that offer soon, though!

Jess said...

Caesar salad.
Or any normal salad that doesn't contain sweet corn.


or salad that has dressing other than mayo/ketchup. ugh.