Monday, March 26, 2007

lists

1. I went to Costco yesterday. I love Costco. I bought a great deal of cereal, granola bars, coffee, and Cheese-its. Some other stuff, but those were the highlights...

Except...

2. I bought an iPod!! Finally, I'm entering the beginning of the millennium in terms of music technology. As a Mac true believer, this is something that should have happened a long time ago.

Here's a question - I've heard both that you shouldn't run with a regular iPod, and that it is fine to run with a regular iPod - anyone have an opinion? I have my beat-up, tiny-memory RCA Lyra that I've been using for over a year now, but I can't do playlists or store more than a handful of songs. I've actually considered getting a nano for running only...

Because...

3. I am going to start to train for a 10k in a couple of months. There is one June 3rd on Jeju, and while some friends are going for the 1/2 marathon, there is no way I'd be able to do that yet. But a 10k? I can do. I had done a few 6 mile runs before I left the States, and while I haven't gone more than 5k since the middle of August, I think I can get back there reasonably quickly.

4. I'm not really sure what is going on, but I've been incredibly short-tempered lately. I mean, I've always been sort of short-tempered, but over the past few years have learned to manage that reasonably well. But for the past week or so, it's been bad. I'm managing not to take it out on others (okay, the "talk again and I'll cut you" look at some of the obnoxious grade 2 students not withstanding, but they totally deserved it), and I think a lot of it just has to do with being more social and not having as much alone time.

5 comments:

MUD said...

The wonderful thing about spring is that you can start getting more sunshine. Get out and recharge. I find that about the end of winter I can't stand me either. I get out and ride my bike and I feel much better.
I can't help you with the running/I Pod question. I do know that a lot of teachers are downloading books for their students to listen to as they group read the book. MUD

Ms Parker said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

During my brief foray into running, I did a few 5 km runs... What I noticed was that the first few kilometres hurt the most, but that once I was past a certain point, it felt like I could run forever... you know, if I hadn't been smoking a half-pack a day at that point....

Do or do not. There is no try.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Virginia

Unknown said...

Jess, I've run with my iPod. Todd says that the #1 reason you aren't supposed to do it is because it can fall. iPods are made to be disposable, so if you drop it and it breaks, you can't get it fixed. That's true of most things these days, so I'd go ahead and run with it (especially if you can get any sort of case to keep it in). Good luck with the training - my current plan it to start working toward the Chicago Marathon ... ask me how its going in June!
Beth

Jess said...

Elizabeth 덧글 내용...

That is exactly what I needed to hear (re:the running w/iPod)

And I think it is so great that you are training for the marathon again!! THAT is amazing!

Jess said...

Do or do not. There is no try.


Okay, so with both Yoda and Virgina behind me, how can I say no?