Monday, March 12, 2007

New Knitty

99.9% of you can just move along, as this won't interest you at all.

Knitty is a free on-line knitting pattern site that publishes 4 time a year (like most knitting magazines) and they usually have a few patterns that are really cool and interesting. I've knit a few things from them, am currently working on a project, and have a couple of things I'd like to make.

But that being said, every issue, while usually having one or two things I could see making, usually has some of the silliest, most pointless, and/or ugliest things you could imagine. When this issue came out, I decided to write my opinion of the patterns so that I have something to refer back to (and did I mention that last week I didn't have even a single class? Right then.)

So, my take on the latest Knitty:
bmp - I would never make them, but fun to look at.
Carolyn - Not a bad cardi, IF it was done in a solid. The stripes? Eep.
Tahoe - Boring (though I do like the wrists of the sleeves) and not flattering. Better fitting would have helped.
Ribena - I don't like the arm-warmer thing, but I like the fitting through the torso with the ribs.
Torque - Not flattering. If you are going to do one big asymmetric detail like that, you also emphasize the negative space. Maybe if the rest of the garment was fitted I would like it more. Like, an even more dramatic cable with a defined waist? not sure. But this isn't doing it for me.
Isabella - Would it have killed them to post a picture of the whole garment? Also, is that by lengthening the line from shoulder to bust with both the v and the lace, it seems to make the bustline look weird. As in oddly elongated. Basically, I think it would make my boobs look like they are sagging. More. And I don't think the pattern in the body improves the design - it just makes it confusing.
Ester - Interesting from a construction standpoint, from first glance. I don't know how wearable it is, but it is interesting.
More stripes - Maybe if it were fitted. And wasn't horizontally striped. Okay, that would then make it a totally different garment, but I like the deep v-neck, but I don't think it is flattering.
Monica - I have no idea why i like this. Maybe because it is a tank for a little girl that isn't trying to be "sexy" in any way. (I REALLY hate little girls who are dressed like they are getting ready to go clubbing)
Briar Rose - I could see this done in one color and it would be cute. Not earth-shatteringly cute, but cute.
Hey Mickey - I cannot think of a situation where this would be a good use of time or knitting effort.
Vestee - Cute. Functional. Looks like it would knit up fast. Hmmm...
Palette - Ehh. Not a very pretty or interesting-looking lace pattern
Dashing - Yes, because a pattern for ANOTHER pair of fingerless gloves is necessary. Because if you knit a large size of one of the eleventymillion patterns out there right now for a boy (including one of the ones Knitty JUST PRINTED), he would have a spontaneous sex change.
Paper Bag - Interesting from an intellectual standpoint("paper" bag, paper yarn...) but not all that attractive., nor does it look particularly useful.
Bauble - I like shiny, but while it has that it its favor if I'm going to combine beading and another needlework craft, it would be crochet. This looks messy (but it IS shiny!)
Queen of Cups - The lace pattern just looks confusing to me, and I don't find it attractive.
Quill Lace Socks - eh. I'm not a sock knitter, so I don't feel strongly either way. Not horrible.
Clessidra - Interesting, but I'm pretty sure would make my calves look like they are trying to take over the world. And I can't think of anyone who wouldn't look the same.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Jess:
If you decide to try the Vestee pattern, please contact me. There are mistakes in the posted pattern! I will be happy to send you the revised copy.
Regard,

Marjorie Brigham