Sunday, March 25, 2007

S-Line

"ooh, Jessica, you are S-Line! And small face!!"

For those people who aren't in Korea, S-line is a goal for female body shape, (or as Virginia so succinctly put it, "Yeah, I think it means boobies." If you add booty to that, you have "s-line.") There is even a diet food brand named S-Line. Also, having a small face is, according to the students, a very good thing.

One of the many reasons it was funny: Middle school girls want my attention and try to get it by being nice to me. They give me compliments and candy, as they obviously know the way to my heart.
_______________________________________________________________________

Related only by tangent, the Grade 3 textbook has a dialog where the characters say hello, then comment on each other's weight, with one telling the other she looks good because she looks thin, and the character tells the first she needs to lose weight - like this is a normal, appropriate English conversation.

The only good thing that came out of this is that I was able to tell the (all-girl) class that this conversation would be VERY RUDE and that you would NEVER say something like that the US. In front of the co-teacher who has made comments about MY weight.

(The same teacher - who is often rather domineering - will have moments of being such a romantic! He literally lost track of the conversation he was having because he thought the trees that were starting to bloom were so beautiful. While he still annoys me regularly, I thought this was incredibly sweet.)

I should also probably note that this isn't the worst thing I've read in a textbook. I think that still goes to "Laughter causes bondage" from the high school text. But at least that was funny.

2 comments:

MUD said...

How do you say, "Does this sweater make my butt look big in Korean? I don't know, but thought it was funny before I saw it down on paper. MUD

Ms Parker said...

The full sentence was "Shared laughter causes bondage in groups".

I couldn't believe my eyes. Decided that I would forgo explaining the different between "bondage" and "bonding".

V.