Sunday, March 25, 2007

Hopeful Sweater

Today I joined the shoulders for Hopeful, the sweater I have been knitting. This is exciting because that means I only have to do the sleeves (though I was going to do long sleeves because I think short-sleeved sweaters are kind of silly) and the neckline (though I was going to have to wing it because I'm not feeling the little tie-thingy.)

I even tore out the first attempt at shoulder seams, which included ripping out and redoing the cast-of using a three-needle bind off because the first seems were so bad. (the 3-needle BO looked nice, if I do say so myself).

But.

Then I held up the sweater. Now, I was knitting the largest size, because the largest size is pretty small. And I did a gauge swatch (okay, I measured a hat I had used the same brand of yarn and needles for, but STILL!!) and when it was all squished on the circular needle, I really couldn't get an idea of the actual circumference.

This sweater is big. I mean, really big. What should be a cute, sung, fitted little sweater is far too big around. And too short. Basically, I look like I'm wearing a very loose-fitting box with a very deep v-neck.

And it's all my fault, as when I remeasured the gauge, it was 4.5 stitches per inch instead of 5/in. Don't know how I lost .5 stitches, and it sounds like such a tee-tiny difference - just half a stitch! But over 40 inches, .5 stitches becomes 5 inches of extra sweater. (side note - whoda thought pre-algebra really would be useful?)

So as I see it, there are 3 options:
1) Rip the whole thing out
2) Keep going, hope blocking is magical, and be happy that I have a nice, loose-fitting v-neck sweater
3) Throw what I have finished in the corner and pout.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a combo of 2 & 3.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My suggestion would be just to take the whole thing apart and start over. That, or throw it out. You don't need anything too big or baggy anymore. You are way past that. Throw it away. Love, Mom

MUD said...

I tried to post some witty and thoughtful advice and couldn't get past the word verification yesterday. Do what your mother says. MUD