Thursday, May 17, 2007

5 things

One would think that I would be able to pull together something more than a list. One would be wrong.

1. Teacher Day was Tuesday. I had a class sing "the teacher song" for me on Monday (which according to some of my co-teachers is A Very Big Deal) and there was a lot of cake in the teacher's room. CAKE!!

2. I guess it was/is somewhat common for teachers to receive elaborate/expensive "gifts" (and by gifts I mean bribes) from parents on teacher's day, so many cities now have a "Teacher's Sports Day/festival" on the actual day. This was the reason for the hours and hours of volleyball practice. Because insane levels of competition and pressure for schools to win is a GREAT way to reward teachers!

3. We played three or four games and got schooled by one of the middle schools nearby. One of the women had played volleyball when she was in college, and I was just happy to get some decent blocks in. She wasn't so happy, which made my principal happy. If that makes any sense at all.

4. I had a BLAST hanging out with the teachers at my school!

5.I realized that while my individual word recognition in Korean isn't great, I'm pretty darn good at figuring out the main idea of what is going on in most situations. Also, I understand a heck of a lot more than people think I do.

No comments: